Wednesday, July 14, 2010

5 weeks and counting

Five weeks from today we will be on our way and the countdown has begun. Our visa applications are in New York. Travel arrangements have been made. We have a draft itinerary for both provinces we'll be working in (Guangxi and Anhui). The collection of necessary items for the orphanage has started. And the anticipation is mounting...
I have been asked to teach on autism spectrum disorders, Down Syndrome, and Cerebral Palsy . The population of special needs children in orphanages all over China has *significantly* skyrocketed and many orphanages are begging for help with how to care for these children. When asked to come back, I could not say no. I love partnering with caregivers on behalf of the kids. Encouraging, brainstorming, problem solving, idea generating...all to help orphans. There is no other way I'd want to spend a vacation.
So far, I've had some very generous donations of AFO's (feet braces), hand splints, and body jackets. All of these are desperately needed by kids who have cerebral palsy and whose mucles are too tight or too loose. I am still hoping to collect the following items:
-Mead Johnson Cleft Palate nursers
-Bumbo seats (great for trunk strengthening and head control for babies with low tone)
-travel pillows (great for positioning head and neck for kids with cerebral palsy)
-gait belts/transfer belts (for bigger children to help with mobility)
-children's vitamins, both liquid and chewable, especially with iron or vitamin D
-children's acetaminophen, liquid and chewable
-pediatric air splints
-tumbleform seats (a long shot, but I am still hopeful since there are not pediatric sized wheelchairs in China)
I've been working on powerpoint slides to get to China a few weeks before I get there so that the Chinese characters can be added to the english. My biggest emphasis it that ALL kids, regardless of abilities, have value. They all can learn. They all deserve love.

No comments:

Post a Comment